In the mid-1930’s, the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) was just beginning to generate electricity and make it available to citizens of the Tennessee Valley area. North Mississippi was one of the first areas in the country where this relatively new and scarce form of energy was made available to individual consumers. Distribution of electricity was being performed by newly formed local “distributorships,” which were “publicly” owned by local government entities, or cooperatives owned by the individual consumers.
In 1937, CSA was born of a cooperative effort by these new utility distributors to create a method of using centralized expertise to perform utility customer billing and other joint services that were determined as useful to the efficient operation of these new utilities. On January 3, 1938, Central Service Association was incorporated under the laws of the State of Mississippi. The Association is operated without profit and solely for the benefit of its member/owners.
Today, CSA serves well over 100 utilities in eight states.